Aug W. Smith: Then & Now

Ciclops Cyderi & Brewery Aims To Build Sense Of Community in Spartanburg
Downtown Business Council Hears from Downtown Spartanburg Business Owners
Show all

Aug W. Smith: Then & Now

The Aug W. Smith building on East Main Street.

A historical photo of Aug W. Smith building. (Courtesy: 


Augustus Wardlaw Smith moved his department store from Abbeville to Downtown Spartanburg in 1901 to a building on East Main Street, adjacent to the Palmetto Building.

The Aug W. Smith store moved to the corner of East Main and Liberty streets in 1926. Aug W. Smith operated this location for 55 years until it closed its doors in 1981. Bishop’s Furniture moved into the space in 1984, where it remained until it closed in 2009.


The building has been renovated with several retail spaces dedicated on the ground floor. Spill the Beans, a Greenville-based coffee and ice cream shop, opened its doors in spring 2018. Already, Spill the Beans has become a popular meeting and study space, the smell and taste of fresh coffee fueling local students and workers alike.

Spartanburg Methodist College opened SMC Studio, a dedicated event space and art gallery, just next door to Spill the Beans. The SMC Studio has hosted dozens of events since it opened, including several of the Spartanburg Area Chamber of Commerce’s Caffeinated Conversations.

A tenant for the building’s basement space hasn’t been announced.

As far as residential space, tenants started moving into Aug W. Smith’s apartments in mid-February. The apartments range from 490 square feet to 1,031 square feet. Tenants enjoy some of the highest-quality living Downtown Spartanburg has to offer, with walkable access to downtown businesses and a view of Denny’s Plaza just across Main Street.

Comments are closed.